Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Class Update - First Make Up Class

This Monday was the intermediate class I took as a make up for winter break.  Now, I was a little disappointed.  I was expecting the class to be our age because we're grouped with them for recital, but they were little.  Like, 9 to 11 or 12 years old little.  And then I was expecting them to be a higher level, too, but our classes seem to be about the same level.  With the intermediate class though, they had more of a mixed levels class.  Like with our Teen Ballet, we're all about the same level, learning the same stuff.  With their class, some of them were could developpe to their ears and knew how to spot well, while others were still learning to maintain turnout.

So the class wasn't particularly challenging, but it was different.  This is actually the very first ballet class I've taken outside of Teen Ballet :D  Barre was really interesting.  We did everything from first position, instead of fifth.  While we were doing tendus and battements, I kept closing in fifth by accident!  We also did degages, which I love but we rarely do in our class.  My favorite part, though, was releves!  For like 2 minutes!  We faced the barre and did a mini-plie then releve over and over again, super fast, until the teacher said we could stop.  Let's just say my legs are still sore now, two days later.  I will definitely be doing those at home.  Embrace the burn!  After a short barre stretch, we moved on to center.

Center was interesting too.  We did some chaines, then pique passes.  Pique passes are when you kick you leg out (straight) and then passe.  The teacher said they haven't done it in as a turn yet and pique passes are an exercise to build up to that.  I liked it, it was good to go back to basics and realize what we're really supposed to be doing.  During water break, I did some turns with a friend from Teen Ballet, who was taking the make up class too.  The floor has been perfectly slippery since last week, so it was perfect for some fouette practice ^_^  After water, we did some grand jetes and we finished class with a review of arm and feet positions, then reverence.  Reverence...that is what it's called right?  We did a plie to one side, then the other.  We've never done it before in our class, so it was cool.

Overall, it was a pretty fun class, and I learned a lot.  The teacher was super nice, too.  I would go back next week for my second make up class, but lacrosse is starting the same day, at the same time.  I'm going to ask my teacher if I can take a lyrical for my second make up.

Remember, embrace the burn! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! Sometimes I close in fifth accidentally, too. It's interesting being in a class with younger kids. Some of them are pretty good actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was funny because the younger girls were watching us older girls and they were so confused/surprised that we don't have our splits yet! XD

      Delete