Monday, March 25, 2013

Romeo and Juliet

Saturday night was Romeo and Juliet!  I went with my mommy ^_^  I got some pictures of the theater before it started.  I realllllly wanted to get a picture of the balcony scene, it was so pretty, but I didn't think I could get a good pic without flash.



We got good seats, we were the first two seats in row N of A-Z.  The people in the two seats didn't show up until the first intermission, and didn't come back after second intermission, so we had a perfect view of the  stage.  The ladies in the seats next to us were really nice.  It was their first time at a ballet, too.

So, about the show...it was brilliant! :D  I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't Macmillan's choreo, but the music was by Prokofiev so that was good.  They had a former student (who is now with ABT) as Juliet, and a guest dancer from Houston Ballet as Romeo.  They were good (Romeo's pirouettes were fantastic), but Mercutio was amazing!  I almost started crying when he died.  Not because it was sad.  It was hilarious!  He kept getting up and grabbing his sword like "no, no, I'm okay...really, I've got this" and he'd start toward Tybalt dancing/walking like he was drunk.  Then he'd trip and drop his sword, and so he'd abandon it and go kiss one of the harlots.  Then it was sad when he actually died, because we didn't see him anymore :(  There were a lot of funny parts actually.  At the part where Romeo was kicked out of the Montague's party, Juliet goes up to her father, crossed her arms, and stomps her foot then runs offstage.  It was so funny, and it was loud too because of her pointe shoes.  And every time Paris would try to kiss her hand, she'd bouree super fast and stiff to the other side of the stage lol!  It was a really great show :D  A girl I know was one of the harlots, she did really good.  I saw some other friends there, too.  Oh, and I ended up wearing a sort of casual dress and heels.  Some people showed in jeans and t-shirts, even shorts.  Some showed up in suit and tie, and floor-length gowns.  Tell me about your first ballet experience!  Comment below :)

6 comments:

  1. Seems like you had a lot of fun. I like when ballets are funny or make the audience laugh or cry. My first ballet experience was amazing. I went to see the Nutcracker, although I wasn't really watching it because I was paying too much attention to the shiny pointe shoes the ballerinas were wearing. The music was great, the dancing and portraying of the characters were great, and everything was great in general!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds incredible :D I can't wait for Christmastime this year, I'm definitely going to see the Nutcracker.

      Delete
    2. Why not audition for a part in the Nutcracker? You get a much different perspective of the ballet when you're onstage.

      Delete
    3. I'd love to be in it, but my studio doesn't have a Nutcracker :(

      Delete
    4. Maybe you could audition at other studios near your area? Sometimes they have open auditions :-)

      Delete
    5. That's a good idea! I hadn't thought about open auditions, thanks :D

      Delete