Monday, March 4, 2013

Ballet Books Reviews

I recently got a whole bunch of ballet books from the library, and some were pretty great!  Others...not so much.
The Ballet Companion: THIS BOOK.  Oh my gosh, I love this one so much, so helpful.  I got it from the library but I'm definitely going to buy it now.
Biography of Alvin Ailey: It was interesting.  I didn't finish it though.  I didn't like the author's writing style.
Winter Season: I didn't like it.  I got about a quarter way through and just put it down.  It wasn't bad or anything, but I just didn't find it interesting.  It did bring up some good points though.
Audition: This is actually the very first ballet book I read.  I loved it at first.  Then I didn't.  I thought it was going to be about her finding herself and learning to work hard, which is what it seemed like at first.  Then, plot twist (I'm not going to spoil it though).  I was like "...are you serious."  So, great writing style and first half, but the second half was disappointing.
Meet the Dancers: Looove this!  It has an inside look of life and training from 16 professional ballet, modern, and Broadway dancers.  It had a lot of great details; how they got started, childhood facts and pictures, their different training, how they made it, etc.  It was a really great read.
The Young Dancer: This was a rather old book from the Royal Ballet School.  It was kinda funny, because it had some really old ideas in it, but very informative.
Joffrey Ballet School's Ballet Fit: This book was more for the adult absolute beginner.  It had some good tips, and a few good exercises.  The resources section was excellent, though.
So You Want To Be A Ballet Dancer: I also bought this one a little while ago.  I thought I might get some tips and tricks from it.  I did learn some interesting things, but I was disappointed.  It didn't have much helpful information.

To read:
Bunheads
The Sugarless Plum
Classical Ballet Technique
Ballerina
Girl in Motion
The Perfect Pointe Book

2 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for a dance inspiring book to read. I've heard good things about The Dance Companion, I might read that. Bunheads is also good. Tutu Much is interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, definitely read The Ballet Companion :D I've seen Tutu Much, but I didn't pick it up. I'll be sure to get it next time I see it.

      Delete