Monday, July 29, 2013

Summer Dance - Day 5

I realize that Day 5, Friday, was several days ago, yes.  Unfortunately, I got sick on Friday afternoon and have been pretty useless all weekend.  I started feeling it sometime after lunch, but I stayed through contemporary and hip-hop because it was just a sore throat at first.

Day 5 Schedule
Stretching/Recovery
Ballet
Lyrical
Lunch
Contemporary
Hip-Hop

Stretching was very interesting.  We learned a lot of different ways to stretch and which stretches with help with certain things like turnout, arabesque, etc.  I also learned that I have really loose hamstrings (I find that hard to believe...but don't argue with the teacher), and a well-streched psoas.  Therefore I should have no problem with high extensions, right?  Wrong.  Gotta work on that leg strength.  Also, the only thing holding me back from my front splits are my hip flexors.  I always stretch them on the sides, but not much in the front.  There's so much to fix!

Ballet and lyrical were really fun!  We had the same teacher a room for both, so we did barre for around an hour then center for about 15 minutes, then we learned some lyrical choreography in the remaining time.  I was really proud of myself, the choreo remembering part of my brain was on!  I remembered most of the routine we learned in lyrical, then after lunch in contemporary, I remembered most of choreography we learned there too!  In contemporary, we learned a piece to an instrumental song, which I've always wanted to do :D

Overall, it was a great week and I really hope I can go back next summer.  I feel like a better dancer, even in just the five days.  I loved trying other styles and learning my strengths and weakness.  I have a whole new list of things I need to work on now, but that's good.  Having small goals to work toward and specific things to improve are why I love ballet.

No comments:

Post a Comment