Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Summer Dance - Days 1 and 2

Well.  The last two days were my first two days of dance camp.  Let's just jump right in and start this post off with how sore I am.  Yesterday, we started off with floor barre.  That was yesterday at 9am.  Today, 11pm and MY ABS ARE STILL DYING!!!!  Seriously, if you ever get the chance to take a floor barre class, you better jump all over that!  So our schedule for the last two days has been as follows, each an hour long:

Monday
Floor Barre
Ballet
Jazz Hip-Hop (Jazz teacher was absent so we had hip-hop instead)
Lunch Break
Contemporary
Hip Hop

Tuesday
Pilates
Ballet
Tap
Lunch Break
Leaps and Turns
Jazz/Lyrical

In ballet, hip-hop, contemporary, and tap, they're getting ready for their summer showcase next week.  I really like how they are teaching here; they don't focus too much time on the routine, and when they're working on it they encourage the girls who aren't in the showcase to still participate.  Some of the teachers have even retaught it from the beginning for us new students.  I hated my last studio during recital time because the entire class would become rehearsal and the girls who weren't in it were just sitting bored.

Plus, I really love the choreo we've been learning for hip-hop, contemporary, and tap.  In hip-hop, we have Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke (that's my jam!), and in contemporary we have The Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice (also a favorite).  In tap, I don't know the song and I don't have tap shoes, but I did it in bare feet and it was still really fun.  I might even have to invest in a pair of tap shoes ;)

So yeah, it's been really fun!  I'm still terrible at hip-hop, but better...slightly better.  That makes me happy :)  I still have trouble remembering choreography, but I'm working on it.  I just really need to focus.  Three more days of camp!  I'm exhausted already, but I'll try to make the most of it.  I can't wait until Thursday when we have 2 hours of ballet :D  Has your summer intensive ended already, or is still going?  I'd love to hear about your summer dance, and good luck with whatever goals you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment