Monday, November 19, 2012

Let's Keep It Simple

This weekend I had movie marathon with myself and the couch, and we saw all the Step Up movies.  In the first movie, Tyler/Channing Tatum said something about people treating dance like it's rocket science but it's really not.  And isn't that the truth!  Dance is complicated and difficult, but sometimes we exaggerate it and it becomes far more complex than it actually is.  I do this a lot because I overthink everything.  Sometimes I feel like there is a rule for every movement, like every inch has a right or wrong.  But a lot of the time the little things don't even matter.  Technique is important in ballet, yes.  But technique is only a guideline; the dance is you.  The way you move is your flair, your swag, whatever you want to call it.  Don't get caught up in the perfection of ballet, because perfect looks different to every person.  Let perfect be whatever you want it to be.  So keep it simple and keep dancing!

Sorry if I don't make any sense, it's hard for me to put my thoughts into words.
Also, if you haven't seen the first Step Up movie yet, go watch it.  Go watch it now!  Because one: Channing Tatum and all his goodness, and two: it mixes ballet and hip hop into one crazy risky final piece.  Now go.

No comments:

Post a Comment