Sunday, August 25, 2013

First Class!

School started this week, as did ballet.  We started on Wednesday, but we only actually got to dance on Thursday and Friday, because the first day we just got our lockers and talked about the class.  At my school, we have nine periods which are 45 minutes each.  Since we have five minutes to change before and after class, that leaves us with a 35 minute class.  Not very long, no, just enough time for therapeutic exercises, barre, stretching, and a center combination or two.  I don't mind though because I feel like I'll improve more by dancing everyday, even if it's not a full class.

Since ballet is 7th period and I have 6th period free, I spend the first 40 minutes in the library doing homework, then I walk to the dance studio and change in the locker room with about 15 minutes left before class starts (including 5 min class-change time).  That gives me plenty of time to get dressed, stretch a little, and talk with my other classmates who have 6th free.

On Wednesday, we talked about what to expect in class.  We learn a new therapeutic barre routine and some combinations that we will repeat for two week, then learn new ones.  So we have 10 classes to memorize and perfect the combinations, which I really like.  We also have ballet exams.  I'm kind of excited about these, I feel like they will help me realize what I need to work on and I can improve even more!

The dress code is pretty simple; any solid color leotard, pink tights, pink ballet flats, no warm-ups (except Wednesdays, which are ballet skirt days).  I don't really like the "no warm-ups" rule, because since the class is only 35 minutes and the studio is freezing, I'm just getting warm by the time it's over.  But I like it too because this is the first time I've worn a leotard and tights without shorts over it and it makes my legs look longer and I look leaner!  If you've always wear shorts too, you should definitely try class without them one day!

I'm really glad to have the opportunity to dance here.  The teachers are amazing, and it definitely shows in their students.  I heard them talking about some of the summer intensives the students went too; Kirov, Joffrey, Atlanta, etc, and I just kinda choked on my water.  Like, whoa.  I thought this was just a school dance program.  But it's obviously waaay more than that.  I already signed up for Cinderella in March since the only requirement was to agree to attend every rehearsal (beginning in January, every Saturday from 9am to 5pm).  I had this nagging feeling as I signed the sheet that I was signing my life away...but anything for dance, right?  Keep dancing, ballerinas!  Comment below if you've started your fall classes already :)

No comments:

Post a Comment