Sunday, September 28, 2014

First Pointe Shoes + Ankle Stretching Tips!!!!

Hey guys!  So....I got my pointe shoes today!!!!


Last Friday, two other girls in my class and I were approved for pointe!  Today, my teacher was at a local dance store to help us get fitted, so a girl in my class and I went.  We both got really lucky; she got the first pair she tried on, and I got the third pair I tried.  My biggest struggle was the padding; they gave me Jr. Ouch Pouches to try at first, but the seam across the toes bothered me.  They'd decided I didn't need a toe spacer because my toes are straight, but they gave me one to try to see if it would relieve the pressure on the seam.  It did, but not very much, so then I tried the Pillows for Pointe Super Gellows, which are seamless, with the toe spacers and it was a lot better.




The first pair I tried were by Mirella, not sure of the name, and they just looked wrong; the second pair were by Bloch but were too narrow; and the third pair were the ones I got: Bloch European Balance, size 6.5 XXX.  They make my feet look waaaayy better than they actually are, and they're pretty comfortable (I mean, for pointe shoes).  But I was really surprised by how much it hurt the first time I went up, but it hurts less every time.  It's something you get used to, I guess.


When I got approved, my teacher said that I'm strong, but my ankles aren't very flexible, so I might have trouble getting on top of my box.  And, as you can see, I can't quite get on top of the box.


That's okay though, she said if I stretch my ankles twice a day, they'll improve fast.  Here are some ankles stretching videos you all might find useful:



So, our first class isn't until late October, but I sewed my ribbons and elastics as soon as I got home today because I just couldn't wait!!  Besides these pictures, I'm not going to go up on pointe again until our first class...no use in getting hurt before class even starts.  Anyone else starting pointe soon?  Comment below!!  I'll update again after the first class, but until then, keep dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment